Hakkakutei (former Hakkakukan) is a traditional inn (presently, restaurant) which was established in 1885. It has been a national tangible cultural heritage since 2009. It is at the lakefront of Hakkaku, where Togane-onari-kaido Road leading from Funabashi ends. Also, its amazing cherry blossom scenery is well known. Location●Togane City, Chiba
Opening of Onari-kaido Road turned Togane into a trade center of various commodities such as well-known Kazusa cotton, sea products from Kujukuri shore, liquors, or tea.
The city has flourished as such and as a major city in the area along with Sawara and Kisarazu from the end of Edo period to Showa.
In the era, Hakkakutei was built as an assembly house for Togane-danna; the owners of large stores and fishing business owners from Kujukuri area.
Since its opening, Hakkakutei has welcomed numerous well-known writers, such as Sachio Ito, Hakushu Kitahara, or Toson Shimazaki.
The establishment was called one of the three greatest inns in Chiba.
In 1946 (Showa 21), Emperor Akihito, the current Japanese emperor, visited the facility when he was still a student at Gakushuin Junior High School.
Prince Mikasa and Prince Takamatsu also have visited the site.
From Hakkaku Lake, the building situated on the left is the old accommodation building, the center is the main building, and the right is the new accommodation building.
There are billiard wing and spa wing behind the main building. All these five buildings are national tangible cultural heritage.
Dining room wing was built by Tomura group from the neighborhood. It is two-story wooden house that is installed with hip-roof and oshibuchi-shitami-bari outer walls.
The rooms are structured as studies. It is said that, when Hakushu Kitahara came there, with a liquor glass in his hand, he stayed in the room and kept on writing.
The main building was expanded in 1937 by an architecture professor from Tokyo Imperial University (current University of Tokyo).
The billiard wing and the spa wing were also made around that time. The main building is a three-story building whose gable faces the lake.
Soon after the completion of the main building, the new building went under construction. Those have made the basic look of the whole inn.
The new building consists of 109㎡-hall on the first floor and six small rooms on the second floor.
Each sukiya-zukuri room is unique and reflects the creativity of each carpenter.
Those rooms offer an astonishing view of Hakkaku Lake and leave people speechless.
In 1954, the great Kyoto Sukiya-structure carpenter, Sotoji Nakamura (known for the tea room in Ise shrine, tea room in Rockefeller’s residence, and the garden in Osaka Expo)
remodeled the main building entry right after he finished working on Shigeru Yoshida’s residence in Oiso.
It is said he changed the roof style from the typical samurai housing’s to mukuri-yane (arched roof) that had been seen a lot in Kansai area.
At Hakkakutei, you can experience major architectural designs from each era and that the place is full of luxurious details, such as in furnitures, and lightings.
They are very variable works in the sense of understanding the ancient architectural techniques and the development of modern Togane.
Many of the ruins from the Old Stone Age or Jomon Period have been discovered around hilly areas. Currently, the oldest dwelling site known is around 7000 years old and should have been built in early Jomon. Togane is one of those few places that had a flourishing Jomon Period that lasted for about 5000years.
Kotaro-Sadataka Sakai, who had owned Toke Castle, ruled Togane during Muromachi Period. He is said to have influenced everybody on Togane’s soil to convert to Nichiren Buddhism. With his third son, Takatoshi, he moved to Togane Castle in 1521 after retiring his position at Toke Castle. From then on, Sadataka’s family, Togane-Sakai clan, ruled Togane for five generations. The original layout of the town was developed during Muromachi Period.
During Edo period, Togane was under direct ruling of Tokugawa Shogunate. Onari-kaido Road was built to connect Togane and Funabashi for Shogun’s falconry visits. At the same time, Onari-shindo Road was also made to connect Togane and the shore. Through that road, Kujukuri sea products came into Togane and taken to Edo. Togane flourished as a merchants’ town, and it was called Golden City of Kazusa.
After the abolition of the han system, Togane went under jurisdiction of Miyazaku Prefecture in 1869 (Meiji 2), of Kisaragi Prefecture in 1871 (Meiji 4), and of Chiba Prefecture in 1873 (Meiji 6). In Meiji 22, upon its town/village management system coming in effect, eight villages or towns were created. Those eight areas cooperated with each other to lead on the path of modernization.
Togane City was established as the 13th city of the prefecture in April of Showa 29. Town of Togane, Fukuoka Village, and the most of Minamoto Village were merged to make the city with population of 34,681, 6348 households, and size of 90㎡. The towns of commerce, agriculture, and forestry joined together to make a new rural city.
Soon after the town management system came in effect, building of foundations in city’s public administration, industry, and education all started at once. e.g. merging junior high schools, installing highways, gas system, cable system, and building Ojagaike filter plant. Also, building the major part of Ryoso agricultural water way, one of the biggest national projects in the area, was completed to create the base of Togane’s development.